Saturday, December 8, 2007

Batch Sparging

My first three batches of all grain brew, I used a method of rinsing sugars off the malt called "fly sparging". In this method, you mix hot water with the crushed malt, let is sit for an hour, then gradually rinse the sugars for an hour, letting the run out be replaced by hot water from above.
Today, I tried a different method called "batch sparging". With this method, you mix, let sit, then drain the entire mash tun as fast as possible. Then mix with more water, then drain fast. You mix both the run offs and get a total volume. There are pros and cons to both methods, but I've been hearing about this a lot lately, so I just wanted to try it.

My thoughts:
- Was easy to do.
- Did not need my bottling bucket / Hot Liquor Tank (HLT)
- Did not need sparge arm. This is fun to watch! Kinda missed it.
- Needed either another kettle to heat water, or what I did was use my extra 5 gallon cooler to hold hot liquor (water) until I could do the second (And third) infusion.

Science:
- First runnings were 2.5 gallons of SG 1.072 @ 130F (1.086).
- Second runnings were 2.5 gallons of SG 1.044 (total) @ 125F (1.062).
- Third runnings 1.0 gallons of SG 1.044 (total) at 124F (1.056).
- Makes this method a 71% efficiency, which is quite comparable to a fly sparge.

Will def try this again.

No comments: