Monday, January 21, 2008

Bell's Hopslam Ale

... and it's here.
Each year, Bell's releases this yumminess upon us.
Hopslam is available in Cincy at finer beer stores (IGA has it), it costs $15 per 6 pack.
It's been compared to a super Two-Hearted Ale, but I'd say it's on its own. THA uses Centennial, HS uses comething else. I've read that it uses Simcoe as a dry hop.
With an Original Gravity of 1.087, it starts as a high gravity wort, and ends at 10% alcohol by volume with a Final Gravity of 1.014. That FG results in a nice malty sweetness that balances the crazy alcohol content.
For a double/imperial IPA such as this, you KNOW to expect hoppiness. But with a name like Hopslam, you get it. I wasn't able to find a good clone recipe on any of the boards I frequent. But once I find one, and hops aren't so ridiculously priced, I'mma make it. Hoppiness.

No comments: