Monday, February 11, 2008

Malta India

A couple of weeks ago, I read about people using Malta Goya for yeast starters.
If you want more yeast cells to pitch into your wort, you can either buy more yeast, or make a starter. It's usually a couple liters of low gravity (1.030) wort and you let it ferment out for a few days. Then you have like more yeast.
So anyway, Jimmy had asked about a "Grocery Store" beer - one made entirely from ingredients you can buy at any normal grocer.

Last week, I find myself at the local Bigg's buying a 6 of Malta India and a 10 of Malta El Sol.

Today, I created my latest experiment.
I added 72 oz (6 bottles) of Malta India to a one gallon carboy. Took a gravity (1.055). Degassed with the drill attachment. Added water to 1.050. Dunno the volume. Added 1/4 tsp Hodgson Mill active dry yeast, shook to mix. Beer.

I'll keep you updated.



UPDATE:
I was reading more about olive oil aeration in wort tonight. So I ran downstairs, and dipped a sanitized scissors in some olive oil and stirred in just a touch of EVOO. See, the olive oil provides molecular chains for the yeast that they would have made themselves with oxygen, for the growth phase.

No comments: