Monday, August 24, 2009

Nedward Flanders Red Ale #33 Update

Original Post

So, since it's one year and one day old, I thought I'd sample the flanders red again.
Well, I'm not enjoying it. It still has a pellicle on the surface, I guess. I expected a more solid, waxy pellicle, but it's more foamy. I've kept a paper towel over the opening of the carboy to allow for some oxygen. Maybe too much?

I get a brief cherry whif and the smell is good and flandersy.
Then the taste has an acetone quality, which I can't quite identify here:

Beer Flaws

It kinda tastes like Cutex Nail Polish Remover. Hoping that goes away. Ugh, another 6 months to wait?

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Dumb question but, how do you sample your flanders red ale without breaking the pellicle?

I've got one in the cupboard that has just over a year, time for another sample. Last time I tried it a month or so ago it was good but had a slight medicinal quality in the background. I believe this is something the yeast will clear up.

Aaron Starner said...

I just used a 3-piece plastic thief. I didn't feel bad about breaking the pellice.