Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Supply and Demand

Well, I keep reading all over that certain hop varieties are in short supply.
My take on it is that they are used a lot by big beer (ABC, aka Anheiser Budweiser Coors) and even big craft brewers (Bell's, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, et al.).
That's cool, but when I can't buy a pound of Centennial hops at my LHBS (Local Homebrew Supply) Listermann's, then we have a problem. Do I buy a bunch of one ounce packages now, or wait or what? I do have plans to grow hops in the backyard. But that takes a couple years to get a good harvest....
I hear the same thing about malt supplies.
The downside is that if I have a recipe, I may have to substitute. This isn't the first time, won't be the last. The upside is that there will be a jump in the number of alternative ingredients, like more bitter orange peels (Saisons), and other fermentables like plain ol' sucrose (light lagers). Should be interesting.
Oh, and I got my Lo-boy Sankey tap (#K182) from Northern Brewer yesterday. Now I can have commercially kegged craft brew in my kegerator and I don't have to disconnect it just to close the lid. Right now it's Dogfish Head's60 Minute IPA. Friggin' sweet.

No comments: