Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yeast Starter

My Recipe:
- 500mL H2O
- 1/3 c. Munton's Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (enough to make the specific gravity 1.020)
- 1/2 tsp. Fermax yeast nutrient
Boil in a 1000mL Erlenmeyer flask for 5 min. Cool in ice bath to room temp.
Careful decant (pour) Bell's Two-Hearted Ale into pint glass. Repeat 5 times. (Yum!)
Then pour the last 1/4" - 1/2" into the flask. Hopefully, there's enough viable yeast to get my starter started.
Place on stir plate and let run as fast as possible without the stir bar coming off the magnet.

See, I made my own stir plate a couple weeks ago. Cost me about $11 and a trip to Ace Hardware and Radio Shack. (As Ogre would say -- "NERDS!") It's basically a box with a fan inside. On that fan I Gorilla glued a rare earth magnet from an old hard drive. So that makes a spinning magnet. Then in the flask, you put a little metal bar called a stir bar (thanks Ren!). That keeps the contents of the flask spinning, aiding in yeast contact with the wort (pre-beer). It also helps oxygenate and de-carbonate the wort. So once this "gets going" I'll be harvesting/liberating Bell's house yeast for use in my own beer that I'll be brewing this weekend.

BTW, I'm brewing up the Centennium Falcon IPA Sunday. I ganked about 17 one ounce packages of Centnnial hops from Listy's yesterday. Woulda gotten a one pound package, but they was outs. Now I just need to get the malts. I can taste it now. Oh wait, that's the 6 Two-Hearteds I just drank.

UPDATE:
10/27 7:00 PM
Looks like it's making yeast. Kinda surprised. Took 48 hours, which I guess isn't unhward of, but wow. Cool.

No comments: